Epiphone Ltd. Ed. 20th Anniversary Jack Casady Bass
Beginnings: The Bass that Jack Built
When Epiphone and Jack Casady first released Jack’s signature bass in 1997, it was the culmination of years of experimentation by the innovative bassist to create an instrument that had superb electric tone but also had the response of an acoustic bass.
Casady is one of the rare rock bassists known by both fans and players for his signature tone. And like fellows innovators (and fans) Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney, Casady became a bass player after years of study on other instruments. "My first teacher was a big band guitarist named Harry Vorhees," Casady told Epiphone.com. “Later on I took from a number of guitarists; one was Bill Harris who was the guitarist for the Clovers. He had studied with a guy who was a student of Andres Segovia."
The Perfect Bass Tone
"When I first started playing, I ran across a short scale semi-hollow bass," said Casady "Despite lacking some low end, I really enjoyed the semi-hollow nature of that bass and over the years tried to capture that characteristic." In 1997, Casady’s hard work paid off with the release of the Epiphone Jack Casady Signature Bass, which has since become a favorite for pros around the world. “I did a lot of homework and bench testing and finally when it clicked in right, it was great. The workmanship that’s coming in on these instruments is just super.”
Epiphone Ltd. Ed. 20th Anniversary Jack Casady Bass Outfit At A Glance
- Ltd. Ed. Wine Red Finish and Flame Maple Veneer Top
- Custom designed black JCB-1™ Humbucker
- Includes Padded Gigbag with 20th Anniversary Logo and Hand-signed Certificate of Authenticity
Discover the Jack Casady Signature Bass
The new Ltd. Ed. 20th Anniversary Jack Casady Bass Outfit has a maple body with a Flame Maple Veneer top in a commemorative Wine Red finish with single-ply white binding. The hand-set mahogany neck has a 34" scale with a 12" radius fingerboard, a 1.6535" nut, and 2-ply black/white truss rod cover with "20th Anniversary" silkscreened in white along with Jack’s trademark signature in gold on the headstock. The rosewood fretboard has pearloid "Trapezoid" inlays and 20 medium jumbo frets.
Custom Wound Pickup
The Ltd. Ed. Jack Casady Bass Outfit features Jack’s custom designed JCB-1 low impedance, low output pickup, which employs a three-position transformer to shape the frequency response. “I went to work on the pickup and it took almost two years to develop,” says Casady. Controls include a Master Volume, Master Tone with Black "Top Hats" knobs with metal inserts plus Epiphone’s custom 3-Position VariGain™ Switch for additional tone shaping (50, 250, and 500 ohms).
Rock Solid Epiphone Hardware
Every Jack Casady Signature Bass features nickel hardware, classic style 19:1 ratio tuners, and a 3-point adjustable bridge exactly like what the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer uses on-stage. "Every year I get two new instruments that I take out on the road," says Casady. "No ringers. I have none that are set up a special way or anything like that and they are great." The Ltd. Ed. 20th Anniversary Jack Casady Bass Outfit includes a padded gigbag with the 20th Anniversary “Jack Casady 20” logo and a Hand-Signed Certificate of Authenticity.
- Neck Material: Mahogany
- Neck Joint: Glued-In; Set-Neck
- Top Material: Flame Maple Veneer
- Body Material: Laminated Maple Top, Back and Sides
- Neck Shape: 1960's Rounded Bass Profile
- Truss Rod: Adjustable
- Truss Rod Cover: 2-ply black/white with "20th Anniversary" silkscreened in WHITE
- Scale Length: 34"
- Fingerboard Material: pearloid "Trapezoid" inlays
- Middle Pickup: Low-Impedance JCB-1™ Humbucker; Black
- Controls: Master Volume
- Master Tone
- 3-Position VariGain™ Switch; 50, 250, 500 ohms
- Binding: Body Top = 5 ply (White/Black/White/Black/White)
- Body Back = 1 ply (White)
- Fingerboard = None
- Headstock = None
- Pickguard: 3-Ply; White/Black/White
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Frets: 20; medium-jumbo
- Bridge: original 3-point adjustable
- Nut Width: 1-1/2"
- Nut Material: Imitation Bone; White
- Hardware: Nickel
- Machine Heads: Die-Cast "Clover" Bass Tuners
- Knobs: Black "Top Hats" with metal inserts
- Strap Buttons: Yes
- Other: "2017" Model logo on back of headstock
- Includes: Deluxe 20th Anniversary Gigbag
- Deluxe 3.5" Padded Leather Strap with 20th Ann. Logo
- Hand-Signed Certificate
- Optional: Hard Case (940-EJCCS)
- Case UPC = 711106261522
- Exterior: Black Vinyl
- Interior: Gray Plush
- Hardware: Chrome